Anthropoid is Closed for submissions at this time.
For updates on our reading process, follow us at @anthropoid_co or on Facebook.
- Are we open? (See above.) Unsolicited submissions received outside of open submission periods will not be considered.
- Please submit 1 story or non-fiction piece, OR 2 flash fiction pieces, OR 3 poems, in an e-mail attachment (.doc, .docx, or PDF) to ************* [currently closed to submissions], with the subject line describing your submission (“fiction submission,” “poetry submission,” etc). As well, if you have essays, experiential narratives or ethnography that you think would be perfect for Anthropoid, please don’t hesitate to send us a note or submission.
- Please double-space all short stories and essays. Single-space poetry, flash, and prose poems.
- We have no specified length requirements, other than our need to be enraptured with every word, and to be conducive toward the online reading format.
- We also welcome visual art, visual / conceptual work, and genre-bending. We love multi-modal work and photo-essays, or pieces with accompanying visuals. For stand-alone art and photography, we also accept and even prefer previously published material (this is an exception to our rule against previously published material for written work).
- Include a cover letter in the body of your email with a bio, and optionally a description of your work.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, as long as you let us know promptly of the need to withdraw should your work be accepted elsewhere.
- the Anthropoid collective will be publishing in two formats: collected issues, and individual articles. Thus, if we decide to pass on your work for one issue, we may still be interested in publishing it in-between issues.
- We are not looking for narrow or literal interpretations of our rough theme guidelines (ideally, we encompass quite a large range of subject matter, approach, and style) — after all, your work is itself a cultural artifact, and the best writing will always reveal something about “the humanesque.” Please see our “About” page and submission call pages for more details.
- We represent a curated collective of writers and writings, with additional voices from the humanities and sciences. We regret that we do not pay contributors at this time, and all staffing and reading work is on a volunteer basis.
- We do not accept previously published material. This includes personal blogs (unless otherwise noted or solicited for reprint). Anthropoid asks for first serial rights and the right to keep your work in our archives; all other rights revert back to the author after publication. We also ask that authors mention that their work first saw publication in Anthropoid in any future reprints.
- Questions can be directed via email, or our facebook page.
We welcome new or established writers, and diverse voices.